Pioneering research activities on Tamil Language and Culture
- Hundred of Research Projects on Tamil language and culture funded by various international, national and state organizations such as UGU, CSIR, ICHR, ASI, INSA, ICSSR, NISTADS, CICT, Ford Foundation and CIIL, in addition to the support from the Government of Tamil Nadu,have been completed.
- Hundreds of international, national and state level conferences, seminars, workshops and training programmes have been organised to disseminate and generate knowledge and new ideas.
- Seventy endowments have been established for the generation of new ideas and dissemination of knowledge through lectures, student fellowships and awards.
- More than 5000 texts of palm leaf manuscripts have been collected and are preserved in the University.
- Several aspects of Tamil language, literature, culture, art and architecture, fine arts have been researched by the faculty of the university
- Important Tamil Brahmi inscriptions and archaeological sites have been discovered by the faculty and students of the university
- Ministry of Earth Sciences, Govt of India has identified the Department of Industries and Earth Sciences as nodal centre for research activites on placer mineral deposits.
- Many important archaeological sites such as Vallam, Periyapattinam, Kodumanal, Tandikkudy and Nagapattinam have been excavated by the University
for the People and Scholarly World
- 17 volumes – Science Encyclopaedia (in Tamil)
- 17 volumes – Humanities Encyclopaedia (in Tamil)
- Greater Tamil Lexicon
- Concordance of Sangam Tamil Literature
- Dictionary of Technical Terms in Tamil
- More than 500 Books on various subjects in Tamil
Education and Award of Degrees
Empowering students from Rural and Poor Socio-economic Background, and Focus on Education through Mother Tongue
Hundreds of PhDs,Hundreds of M.Phil. Graduates,Thousands of Post-Graduates,Students of Tamil University
Programmes for Government Officers
For Promoting Tamil as administrative Language
Tamil Language Coaching program for IAS and IPS officers
Programmes for non-Resident Indians
Training Programmes on Tamil Language and Culture for Malaysian Scholars and Students
- Caring for the Public; Creating awareness and understanding among the public on Tamil Culture and Heritage
- Exhibitions and awareness programmes for the Public on Tamil culture
- NSS program for Public welfare
- Library with 170,000 books for the benefit of the public, scholars and students
- Museum for public awareness on archaeology, culture and heritage
Empowering the students from the rural and poor socio-economic background
- Special Coaching for SC, ST, BC and Minority Students
- Coaching for UGC, IAS and UGC NET Exams
- Campus covering more than 800 acres
- Herbal Garden
- Karikalan Arangam with a seating capacity of 1000 persons
- Open-air Play ground
- Centre for Performing Arts
- Indoor Gymnasium with modern equipment
- Hostel Facilities for students
- Eco friendly non-polluted atmosphere
Centre for Distance Education
Promoting Tamil Language Education all over the world
- M.A. and B.SC. Courses and MSc. Courses
- Diploma and certificate course in rare disciplines such as music and performing arts
Affiliated Institutions for Research Degrees
- International Institute of Tamil Studies, Chennai
- Pondicherry Institute of Linguistics and Culture, Pondicherry
- Association and Memorandum of Understanding
- Tamil University networks with several International, National and State Institutions for the promotion of research activities.
Awards Offered by the University
Karikalan Award for Foreign Tamil Literature (Mustafa Endowment)
To involve the students in the welfare activities connected with the public, the National Service Scheme (NSS) has been started in this University and it is involved various extension activities for the benefit of the society. Many number of community and social service activities such as blood donation, blood grouping, eye testing, eye screening etc., are being carried out through NSS of this University. General medical camps are also being held. Awareness on Disaster Management, Self defense and enhancement of Memory technique are also taught to them.
Yoga training is also given to them. Nearly 200 student volunteers of this University are actively involved in the activities executed by the NSS.
The NSS Unit of this University has adopted Neelagiri Vattam village near Thanjavur and is conducting 10 days’ camp every year.
Documentation of Modi Manuscript
Academic Programmes (Regular)
- M.A. Tamil
- M.A. Applied linguistics
- M.A. History, art & culture
- M.A. Temple administration, tourism & philosophy
- M.A. History & archaeology
- M.A. Tamilology, folklore & culture
- M.A. Music
- M.A. Applied tamilology9.
- M.A. Social science
- M.A. Tamilology & history of editing
- M.Sc. Environmental science
- M.Sc. Computer science
- M.Phil and PhD. Programmes under all departments
Diploma and Certificate Courses
- Diploma and certificate courses in are offered in various subjects.