Department of Drama
The Department of Drama, under the Faculty of Fine Arts strives hard to achieve the goal of reviving the Tamil dramas to meet the social and aesthetic requirements of the society.
The main aim of the Department is to serve as an inspirational force to Tamil Theatre, through involving innovative and creative moments by rediscovering traditional theatrical elements by conducting profound research studies, interacting with modern theatrical concepts and indulging in experimental and traditional play production. It also aims to function as a high level research centre to regulate research activities through theatrical studies, experimental projects and extension programmes in the area of theatre.
- To facilitate theatre artists, researchers and theatre enthusiasts of Tamil theatre to understand universal theories and concepts of modern theatre practice.
- To document the traditional and modern theatrical forms and techniques with the preparation of Drama encyclopedia and dictionaries.
- To encourage the writers of Tamil dramas.
- To promote traditional theatre
- To promote children’s theatre.
- To co-ordinate with various play troupes
The department has an action plan to promote modern theatre sensibilities without losing the life and spirit of our traditional theatre elements.
Kootukkalari- Course in Performing Arts
As part of our extension programme a course for performing arts namely ‘Kootukkalari’ was started in the year 2010. It conducts three year degree course for students who have completed higher secondary (+2) course. It is a full time course framed with theory and practice. Now six students are undergoing this programme. It gives deep training in various arts forms including karagam, kavadi, dummy horse, thappattam and Thevarattam. Experts in the field are appointed in temporary basis as trainees in arts.
- The department has organized 10 seminars, 3 workshops and 1 refresher course
- The faculty members of the department have completed 16 research projects
- The faculty members have published six books
- Bachelor of Performing Arts (Koothukkalari)
Dr. S. Karpagam
Associate Professor & Head (i/c)