Department of Translation
This is the only Department in Tamil Nadu for Translation at University level.
- To translate Tamil literature into other languages and vice-versa.
- To evaluate the existing translations of Tamil Literature.
- To evaluate the literary and non-literary translation works of other languages into Tamil
- To organize refresher courses, seminars, workshops, guest lectures and training programmes for teachers and professionals at various levels.
- To work on Tamil translation theory and to bring out books on theories in translation.
- To prepare a series of bibliographies related to translation and to maintain a documentation centre to store up all available materials in translation related to Tamil.
- To teach the Translation techniques for research students of M.Phil. and Ph.D.
- To support research on translation
- Tamilnadu allotted the work of translating the Thirukkural, and poems of Bharathiyar and Bharathidasan into the Chinese language.
- The department has organized 35 seminars, workshops and refresher courses
- The faculty members of the department have completed one research project.
- The faculty members have published 12 books
- John Ambulance Institution Supporting the Tamil University five hundred students. (?)
Academic Programmes in the First aid Training programme
- M.Phil. Completed – 42 On going – 04
- Ph.D. Completed – 22 On going – 14
- P.G. Diploma in Translation from 2011 to till date (For all P.G. Students from Tamil University departments)
Dr. B. Rajesh
Dr. S. Veeralakshmi
Dr. R. S. Murugan
Associate Professor & Head of the Department