Department of Epigraphy And Archaeology
- To study the culture and civilization of South India based on the archaeological and epigraphical sources.
- To collect, document, preserve, analyze, edit and publish inscriptions, copper plates and related documents pertaining to the history of Tamil Nadu.
- To explore the sites of archaeological importance to augment the cultural history of Tamil Nadu.
- To understand the antiquity of Tamil Nadu both in time and space and to study the political, social and economic development of Tamil Nadu using primarily archaeological and epigraphical sources.
- To prepare a digital Historical atlas of Tamil Nadu
- The Department has discovered oldest Tamil -Brahmi inscriptions on hero stones at Pulimankombai, Thathapatti and Porpanaikottai. Theses are milestone discoveries in the archaeology of Tamil nadu.
- The Department has excavated the archaeological sites of Vallam, Periypattinam, Kodumanal, Mayiladumparai, Thandikkudi, Nagapattinam and Pillayarpatti.
- The department has organized 50 seminars, workshops and refresher courses
- The faculty members of the department have completed 25 research projects
- The faculty members have published 25 books
- Epigraphical Estempage Repository – 500 estempages
- Museum and Antiquity Collections – 5000 antiquities
- M.A. History and Archaeology
- M.Phil. History, Epigraphy and Archaeology
- Ph.D. History, Epigraphy and Archaeology