Department of Lexicography
- To impart Lexicographic knowledge and training among school, college and university teachers and research scholars in Indian Languages, especially in Tamil.
- To inculcate lexicographic principles among students in order to promote their language skills.
- To compile basic reference works that will be useful to Tamil language and literacy, research activities.
- To establish an archive consisting of rare Nighantus and Tamil dictionaries.
- To compile bilingual and multilingual dictionaries with Tamil as source language.
- To promote interdisciplinary lexicographic activities by compiling Scientific and Technical dictionaries.
- To propagate the use of ‘computers’ in dictionary making and to evolve principles for computerized Tamil Lexicography.
- To prepare a complete ‘Database’ of Tamil classical vocabulary ranging from Sangam literature to Modern Tamil.
- To publish different types of Tamil Encyclopedia and Indices.
- The department has organized 6 seminars, 4 Refresher courses and 6 workshops.
- The faculty members of the department have completed 25 research projects
- The faculty members have published 18 books
- M.A. 220 Awarded
- M.Phil. 210 Awarded
- Ph.D. 34 Awarded