Department of Palmleaf Manuscripts
- Collection of Palm leaf manuscripts
- Preservation of Palm leaf manuscripts using new scientific techniques
- Preservation of rare manuscripts through digitization and microfilming
- Establishment and management of Palm leaf archives
- Publication of books based on the materials found in the manuscripts, (translation with notes and commentaries)
- Publication of the materials related to humanities and science from the Palm-leaf manuscripts, and conducting workshops for the benefit of the students and public.
- The Department has collected more than 8000 palm leaf manuscripts covering several subjects such as Philosophy, medicine, astrology, grammar and Sangam literature. Among these 6410 are Tamil works.
- More than 58 books have been published by the faculty members
- The Department has organized 19 seminars, 18 workshops and some refresher courses.
- Descriptive catalogs of the manuscripts have been prepared: 8 volumes containing 500 titles of manuscripts have been published. Two volumes with 1000 titles are ready to be published.